Building a Class
Last edited 9/29/2020
When you are getting ready to build your class schedule, there are a few settings that need to be decided upon ahead of time.
- Class Type
- This is chosen from the master list of Class Types and includes your requirements, an image, whether it is a merit badge and will print a blue card, and the description.
- Once set and saved, the class type selection cannot be changed. However, the class type itself can still be updated.
- Individual classes are available for named participants, and can be selected per person as you sign them up by name or edit their individual registration. The council can choose specific participant types for individual classes or options, i.e. Crossover Scouts.
- Group classes are available for Just Numbers (Spots), as well as Numbers and Names (Summer Camp Style) registrations, and apply to all eligible participants (i.e. all Youth, all Adults, or Both). Specific participant types cannot be selected for this. Changing quantities can be done as an admin override.
- Once set and saved, this cannot be changed. Sub-conditions, such as Youth/Adult, can be changed after save.
- Class/Event Option
- A Class is an independent item that can be added to the schedule with or without a fee (Archery Merit Badge for $10) and is always a positive amount.
- An Event Option adjusts the registrant's event fee and can either be positive (an increase to the participant's fee) or negative (a reduction in the participant's fee). A reduction cannot be greater than the participant's fee.
- An admin with the correct permissions can adjust the amount of the fee or discount for any class or option.
- Once set and saved, this cannot be changed. Event Options are most typically used for Camperships and Discounts.
On the first Event Tab, enter the number of Time Blocks. You will then need to set up your Time Blocks.
Click to Enlarge
- Click New to begin building a class. Then fill out at least the required fields; fields that are required are listed in bold below.
- Enter Class Location if needed. Class locations can be enabled on Locations > Event Types > Class Scheduling > Check "Show Class Locations Field." This will show on the class schedule PDF report.
- Choose your Class Type from the dropdown - if you don't see your class type, you may need to add it (see Class Types).
- Confirm your GL. Change if needed.
- Class Code. This can be any designation that helps define your classes.
- Registration Fee - The amount due in the system for the class. You can require all upfront (default), a partial amount, or nothing due upfront. For summer camp, not requiring a payment can expedite the registration process.
- Estimated Fee - An approximate amount due at the event. This amount will not be billed through the system.
- Time Blocks - Each class has to be assigned to at least one time block but can be assigned to multiple time blocks. These are used in conjunction with Class Days (# 11) to build schedules and create conflicts to prevent double booking. When you have more than one session of a Class Type, i.e. three sessions of Archery Merit Badge, each session must be built as a separate class. Click here to learn more about setting up time blocks.
- Maximum - Capacity for the class. Enforced by the system. Waitlisting can be enabled at the Event Type.
- Minimum Age - Set the minimum age the participant needs to be at the start of the event. Date of Birth must be required for participants in order to use this.
- Class Days - Use with Time Blocks to build a schedule that includes conflicts with classes at the same days/times.
- Every Day assigns the class to every day of the event and conflicts with all other classes that use the same time blocks.
- Unchecking Every Day offers each day of the week to be checked.
- Leaving all days unchecked will eliminate all conflicts and this class can be chosen regardless of other classes chosen.
- Registration Type
- Individual - class is selected by a named participant. Names registration required. Admin can override cost.
- Group - class is selected for all applicable members of the group. Numbers registration required. Admin can override cost and quantity.
- Once saved, cannot be changed.
- Youth (default) - available for youth participant types (see # 16).
- Adult - available for adult participant types (see # 16).
- Both - available for all participant types (see # 16).
- Allow - group can self assign.
- Admin-Only - admin must assign. Not visible to group until assigned. Group cannot modify.
- Class - used for most classes. This is an independent item with its own fee.
- Event Option - used selectively, usually admin-only. This setting changes the participant's event fee and can be positive (a fee) or negative (a discount). See Camperships and Discounts for more details.
- Participant Types
- Based on the Youth/Adult eligible participant types (# 13), all available participant types will appear here.
- Clicking the red X will remove a participant type (i.e. crossover Scouts are not eligible).
Deleting a Class - If a class is deleted, any paid registration fees will automatically be changed to Credit on File for each account. We recommend generating a report of all class registrations before deleting a class so you can follow up as necessary.